In response to the changes GCSE , we’ve developed a 5-year mastery framework for secondary science, called Blueprint. GCSE is evolving to stay relevant in the rapid change of the 21st century. Instead of being largely a knowledge recall test there’s now 60% of the marks for transferable understanding (called AO2) and higher level thinking (AO3).
Up to now, schools who basically delivered the content in the specification, did OK. But with the cognitive demands of GCSE increasing, a different strategy is called for – one that builds understanding over 5 years.
Blueprint is designed from first principles. It has unpacked the content in GCSE and built a progression of key concepts that lead towards the ‘big ideas’ that experts have, and integrated the skills. With this understanding students will become better at applying knowledge (AO2) and analysing it (AO3). Grasping the concepts also makes it easier learn the details and facts that need to be memorised for exams. Blueprint takes the form of;
- a curriculum plan, setting out the scope and sequence of units
- teaching and assessment planners for Y7-11 units.
- Objectives at three levels of depth corresponding to AO1, 2 and 3 at GCSE.
- A better preparation for the more demanding GCSE questions (AO2 and AO3)
- Topics form a progression which removes repetition, freeing curriculum time
- A system for embedding formative assessment and mastery learning
- Skills are explicitly integrated into every stage, to reach fluency
- Contexts and applications are integrated to increase engagement
- Create coherent topics so that the lessons connect and build understanding
- More opportunities to relate science to real world contexts
Blueprint can be used for any GCSE specification. It comes with specific references to the AQA’s Trilogy specification, and can be customised for other Awarding Bodies.
Curriculum plan and unit planners
New draft unit planners for Year 7 (11-12 year olds) released at the beginning of March
N.B. You need to join the Beta Users group to download pre-release material.
Already joined? Download the planners (coming soon)